- 4 carrots-washed but not necessarily peeled
- 1 cucumber- peeled quartered and diced
- 1 apple- unpeeled and diced
- The juice of 2 Valencia oranges (Try for the Florida grown as our California don't currently muster the same sugar level)
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- honey-about 1 tablespoon, or to taste
- freshly grated ginger, again to taste
I usually never peel carrots because so many nutrients are just below the skin. On the other hand, I usually always peel cucumbers because the skin is sometimes a bit bitter. But that is your call.
The apple can be any one that you have already, or a sweeter Fuji or Gala and even a tart apple like a Granny Smith.
The freshness of the dressing is the key to this simple salad. Add the honey and fresh ginger a bit at a time until you get a flavor you like. What I look for is a balance between the sweet and acid, with a zing from the ginger. Serves four.